Careers in Translation and Interpreting
The ATA Mentoring Program
Getting started as a translator or interpreter in a competitive global market can be a rocky road. More than ever, newcomers are in need of advice and encouragement from working professionals with on the job experience. They need mentors.
The ATA Mentoring Program will offer matching services to a limited number of mentees in 2013. A total of 30 mentees will be selected through a competitive application process.
Applications from ATA members interested in participating in the program will be accepted from January 1 to March 15. This will be the only enrollment period for 2013.
Applications will be reviewed by the ATA Mentoring Committee. Mentees selected for the program will be notified by April 15, 2013.
Quick Questions About the ATA Mentoring Program
Who may participate in the ATA Mentoring Program?
- Any ATA member is eligible for participation in the program.
What kind of time commitment is involved?
- ATA mentorships last for one year.
- One to two hours per month or more.
What do I need to know?
- The mentee sets the goals and pace.
- Mentor and mentee negotiate how the relationship will play out.
- Most ATA mentorships are long-distance.
How can I become a mentee?
- Review and update your professional services listing in the online ATA Directory.
Don't have a listing? Create one!
- Download the ATA Mentee Statement Worksheet from the ATA website.
- Write a 400-word essay in English using your worksheet answers.
Be sure to include:
» description of your background
» your translation or interpreting experience
» what you hope to gain from an ATA mentorship
- Email your contact information with your essay as an attachment to email@example.com.
How can I become a mentor?
- Update your ATA directory profile.
- Download the ATA Mentor Statement Worksheet from the ATA website.
- Fill out the worksheet; the Mentoring Committee will use this information to match you to a mentee.
- Email the worksheet as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.