New Science and Technology Division Established
Incentive to create a new Division, the Science and Technology Division (S&TD)
Since January 2010, several ATA members have worked to establish a division to provide a community for translators of texts relating to science and technology. A large number of specialized technical translators could benefit from the networking, terminology research, and professional development opportunities offered by a division specifically for science and technology.
A secondary purpose in establishing this division was to improve scientific and technical writing skills within the ATA. The styles and conventions required in technical subject matter are specific and well-defined. S&TD will lead professional development in this area.
This Division goes beyond language combinations and provides a venue for scientific and technical translators to build their skills—increasing both the pool of ATA divisions and the value of ATA membership.
Objectives for the new division
- Services offered will be consistent with the ATA Division Handbook and ATA Division Policies & Procedures.
- Listserve and blog will offer peer-to-peer support.
- Support ATA professional development seminars that fall within the fields of science and technology.
- Identify potential ATA activities relevant to scientific and technical translators.
- Recommend division distinguished speakers for the Annual Conference.
- Support members interested in or with the need to understand more about specific technical fields by providing a forum to exchange knowledge and professional experience pertaining to technical translation.
- Offer freelance professionals the potential to expand subject-matter expertise.
- Provide increased visibility of technical and scientific vertical opportunities and events of interest to scientific and technical translators.
- The Division would conform to ATA policies, including:
- Division proposal presented to ATA board.
- Petition for the Division and submission of required votes for establishing this Division.
- Election of officers: Administrator and Assistant Administrator.
- Call for web administrator, blog editor, blog contributors, and conference committee.
- The Science and Technology Division will have the following core services for division members:
- Blog, including monthly articles
For more information, or questions, please contact: