July 31, 2023
Clinton Pechacek and Heather Outland
T. Alexis Crowell
Karen Elizabeth Rembold
Jartu Gallashaw Toles
Ruth Lyon Fuchs
Thomas G. Morgan
Gabriela Mahn and David Vandenberg
Susan Phillips and Stephanos Stephanides
ATA awards a grant-in-aid to a student for a literary or sci-tech translation or translation-related project. The project, which may be derived from any facet of translation studies, should result in a project with post-grant applicability, such as a publication, a conference presentation, or teaching materials. Computerized materials are ineligible, as are dissertations and theses. Translations must be from a foreign language INTO ENGLISH. Previously untranslated works are preferred.
How to Apply
The award, to be presented at the ATA Annual Conference, is open to any graduate or undergraduate student, or group of students, attending an accredited college or university in the U.S. Preference will be given to students who have been or are currently enrolled in translator training programs. Students who have already published translations are ineligible. No individual student may submit more than one entry.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Student Translation Award Entry Form
- Project Description (not to exceed 500 words) If the project is a translation, the description must present the work in its context and include a substantive statement of the difficulties and innovations involved in the project and the post-competition form the work will take.
- Statement of Support This letter must be from the faculty member who is supervising the project. It should demonstrate the supervisor’s intimate familiarity with the student’s work and include detailed assessments of the project’s significance and of the student’s growth and development in translation.
- Translation Sample If the project involves an actual translation, a translation sample of not less than 400 and not more than 500 words, together with the corresponding source-language text, must accompany the application. The translation sample may consist of two or more separate passages from the same work. For poetry, the number of words must total at least 300.
- Certificate of recognition (Additional certificates may also be awarded to runners-up)
- Up to $500 toward expenses for attending the ATA Annual Conference
Please send entry to:
Student Translation Award
American Translators Association
225 Reinekers Lane, Suite 590
Alexandria, VA 22314
Please contact email@example.com.