Honors and Awards
Lewis Galantière Award
The Lewis Galantière Award is bestowed biennially in even-numbered years for a distinguished book-length literary translation from any language, except German, into English. The Ungar German Translation Award is given in odd-numbered years.
This award honors distinguished ATA founding member Lewis Galantière (1894-1977). His translations from French drama, fiction, poetry, and scholarship enriched cultural life during the middle decades of the 20th century and are still being read.
To be eligible for the award, the book-length literary translation must be translated from any language, except German, into English and published in the United States in 2012 or 2013.
The published translation must list the translator’s name on the title page and preferably on the dust jacket. Preference will be given to published works that provide biographical information about the translator.
The translator does not have to be an ATA member; however, the translator should have a strong connection with the U.S. through citizenship or permanent residence. The nomination must be submitted by the publisher of the translated work.
The nomination must be submitted by the publisher of the work and must include the following:
- Cover letter with complete publication information for the work being nominated, including the date of publication.
- Brief vita of the translator, including place of residence and contact information.
- Three copies of the nominated work with one extra copy of the dust jacket.
- Three copies of 10 consecutive pages from the original work, keyed to the page numbers of the translation. Please do not staple. If providing a dual-language work, copies are still required.
- Three copies of the translated pages that correspond to the 10 consecutive pages provided from the original work. Please do not staple. If providing a dual-language work, copies are still required.
May 1, 2014. Publishers are encouraged to submit nominations early.
$1,000, a certificate of recognition, and up to $500 toward expenses for attending the ATA Annual Conference.
Please send nominations of the individual or institution you consider worthy of receiving the next Gode Medal to:
Lewis Galantière Award
Lois Feuerle, Chair
ATA Honors & Awards Committee
American Translators Association
225 Reinekers Lane, Suite 590
Alexandria, VA 22314
Recipients of the Lewis Galantière Translation Award
1984 William Weaver
1986 Hildegard & Hunter Hannum
1988 Patrick Creagh
1990 Edward K. Kaplan
1992 Ruth Harwood Cline
1994 Tiina Nunnally
1996 William Rodarmor
1998 Rose-Myriam Rejouis; Val Vinokurov
2000 Peter Meineck
2002 Willard Wood
2004 Roger Greenwald
2006 Geoffrey Brock
2008 Norman R. Shapiro
2010 Margaret Sayers Peden
2012 Arthur Goldhammer