Find the Best Exam For You
Exam sittings are available in person and online from April to September, with additional in-person exams held at the ATA Annual Conference.
- You must be an ATA member to register for an exam. Join ATA now.
- There are specific software and hardware requirements for exams. See the requirements.
- Only specific resources are permitted for use during an exam. See list of resources.
- Exam sittings have a maximum capacity and can sell out. There are no waitlists for sold-out exams.
- Check exam status to see which exams are sold out or open.
- You must register by the deadline. See exam details for the specific deadline.
If an exam is not available in your area, contact your local chapter to request one.
Additional exams will be posted as they are confirmed.
If an exam is not available in your area, you have the option to take the exam at home.
Schedule Your Own Exam
This is an online, on-demand exam that you schedule yourself. After you register, you will receive instructions for how to schedule your exam. You may select any day and any time, but you must take the exam within 30 days.
Note: The final date to register is August 22.
There are specific software and hardware requirements for online exams. Before you register, make sure you have everything you need. See all requirements and restrictions.
The exam registration fee is $525. You can register online, by mail, or by fax.
You must be a member of ATA to register for an exam. ATA membership is not refundable. Join ATA
Exam Registration FAQs
How to Prepare for the Exam
Take a Practice Test
The practice test is an excellent way to measure your readiness for the exam. It consists of an exam passage from a previous year and is designed to provide a practical introduction to the nature of the exam and how errors are marked. Read more here.