Submission Start Date
January 1, 2025
Submission End Date
March 31, 2025
Robert E. Norton
John E. Woods
The ATA Ungar German Translation Award is bestowed biennially in odd-numbered years for a distinguished literary translation from German into English.
Who was Frederick Ungar?
Frederick Ungar was a publisher and translator for 65 years and the 1975 ATA Gode Medal recipient. He fled Nazi-occupied Austria and settled in the U.S., where he founded the Frederick Ungar Publishing Company in New York City in 1940. His company published translations to further the cause of world literature and international communication.
How to Apply
To be eligible for the award, the translation must be from German into English and must have been published in the United States between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2024. The published translation must list the translator’s name on the title page and preferably on the dust jacket. Preference will be given to published works that provide biographical information about the translator. The translator does not have to be an ATA member; however, the translator should have a strong connection with the U.S. through citizenship or permanent residence.
The nomination must be submitted by the publisher of the work and must include the items listed below in the format specified. If nominating multiple works, please submit separate nominations for each.
The following must be submitted as PDFs:
- Cover letter with complete publication information for the work being nominated, including the date of publication.
- Brief CV of the translator, including place of residence and contact information.
- 10 consecutive pages from the original work, keyed to the page numbers of the translation.
- Translated pages that correspond to the 10 consecutive pages provided from the original work.
- The complete text of the nominated work.
If possible, we would also like to receive the work as a MOBI file so the text can be read on an e-reader. However, the MOBI file is not required.
Complete entries must be received in the specified format within the submission period (January 1 to March 31).
All nomination materials should be submitted through the ATA website. The form will be available on this page during the nomination period
*Please note that physical copies of nominated books will no longer be accepted. Please do not mail any materials to ATA Headquarters.
- Presentation of the Ungar German Translation Award at the ATA Annual Conference
- $1,000 cash
- Up to $500 toward expenses for attending the ATA Annual Conference
- Complimentary registration to the ATA Annual Conference