March 1, 2022
Juliet Winters Carpenter
Margaret Sayers Peden
Norman R. Shapiro
Ruth Harwood Cline
Edward K. Kaplan
The Lewis Galantière Award is bestowed biennially in even-numbered years for a distinguished book-length literary translation from any language, except German, into English. The Ungar German Translation Award is given in odd-numbered years.
Who was Lewis Galantière?
Lewis Galantière (1894-1977) was a distinguished founding member of the association. His translations from French drama, fiction, poetry, and scholarship enriched cultural life during the middle decades of the 20th century and are still being read.
How to Apply
To be eligible for the award, the book-length literary translation must be translated from any language, except German, into English and published in the United States January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021. The published translation must list the translator's name on the title page and preferably on the dust jacket. Preference will be given to published works that provide biographical information about the translator. The translator does not have to be an ATA member; however, the translator should have a strong connection with the U.S. through citizenship or permanent residence. The nomination must be submitted by the publisher of the translated work.
The nomination must be submitted by the publisher of the work and must include the following:
- Cover letter with complete publication information for the work being nominated, including the date of publication.
- Brief vita of the translator, including place of residence and contact information.
- Three copies of the nominated work with one extra copy of the dust jacket.
- Three copies of 10 consecutive pages from the original work, keyed to the page numbers of the translation. Please do not staple. If providing a dual-language work, copies are still required.
- Three copies of the translated pages that correspond to the 10 consecutive pages provided from the original work. Please do not staple. If providing a dual-language work, copies are still required.
Publishers are encouraged to submit nominations early. Entries must be received in full by ATA before the nomination deadline. Partial entries or entries received after the deadline will be disqualified.
- Presentation of the Lewis Galantière Award at the ATA Annual Conference
- $1,000 cash
- Up to $500 toward expenses for attending the ATA Annual Conference
- Complimentary registration to the ATA Annual Conference
Please send nominations to:
Beth Smith, Chair
ATA Honors & Awards Committee
American Translators Association
225 Reinekers Lane, Suite 590
Alexandria, VA 22314