March 1, 2024
Juliet Winters Carpenter
Margaret Sayers Peden
Norman R. Shapiro
Ruth Harwood Cline
Edward K. Kaplan
The Lewis Galantière Award is bestowed biennially in even-numbered years for a distinguished book-length literary translation from any language, except German, into English. The Ungar German Translation Award is given in odd-numbered years.
Who was Lewis Galantière?
Lewis Galantière (1894-1977) was a distinguished founding member of the association. His translations from French drama, fiction, poetry, and scholarship enriched cultural life during the middle decades of the 20th century and are still being read.
How to Apply
To be eligible for the award, the book-length literary translation must be translated from any language, except German, into English and published in the United States January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2023. The published translation must list the translator's name on the title page and preferably on the dust jacket. Preference will be given to published works that provide biographical information about the translator. The translator does not have to be an ATA member; however, the translator should have a strong connection with the U.S. through citizenship or permanent residence. The nomination must be submitted by the publisher of the translated work.
The nomination must be submitted by the publisher of the work and must include the items listed below in the format specified. If nominating multiple works, please submit separate nominations for each.
The following must be submitted as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org. All items must be included in one email.
- Cover letter with complete publication information for the work being nominated, including the date of publication.
- Brief vita of the translator, including place of residence and contact information.
- 10 consecutive pages from the original work, keyed to the page numbers of the translation.
- Translated pages that correspond to the 10 consecutive pages provided from the original work.
The following must be shipped to ATA.
- Three complete, published copies of the nominated work to:
Lewis Galantière Award
American Translators Association
225 Reinekers Lane, Suite 590
Alexandria, VA 22314
Complete entries must be received in the format above by the submission deadline. All other entries will be disqualified.
- Presentation of the Lewis Galantière Award at the ATA Annual Conference
- $1,000 cash
- Up to $500 toward expenses for attending the ATA Annual Conference
- Complimentary registration to the ATA Annual Conference