Deputy Chair and Grader Trainer
Certification is a voluntary action by a qualified group to establish a system to grant recognition to individuals who have met a stated level of training and work experience. The ATA Certification Committee was established to implement and manage a Certification Program that enables individual translators to demonstrate that they meet professional standards.
The Committee is asked to do the following:
- prepare examinations that evaluate an individual's ability to translate into or out of English, according to current standards of practice in the translation industry;
- establish standardized grading practices and grader training;
- develop practice tests to assist an individual in preparing for the examination;
- conduct a review of an exam translation when requested by an individual test-taker;
- provide assistance and appoint a chair of an ad hoc appeal panel when an individual requests an appeal;
- produce and maintain a comprehensive manual of policies and procedures for the program and exam;
- publish information about the program to members and non-members alike;
- assist members to establish new language combinations in accordance with program procedures;
- develop relations with sister associations in other countries for the purpose of cooperating with them on certification matters, aligning certification policies, and/or streamlining practices; and
- review and revise the program policies and procedures as necessary.