As a professional association, ATA encourages and supports standards of professional ethics, practices, and competence. The Ethics Committee was established to respond to complaints of violations of the American Translators Association Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility or of Article III, Section 6, of the ATA Bylaws.
The Committee is asked to do the following:
- investigate all actionable complaints of violation submitted to ATA Headquarters;
- administer ATA's Policy on Ethics Procedures on behalf of the Board;
- ensure confidentiality and due process to members accused of ethics violations;
- report the Committee's determination of a violation and sanctions imposed to the ATA Board of Directors; and
- provide the ATA Board of Directors with a summary report of the dismissal of any actionable complaints of violation.