This webinar will describe and compare the techniques of closed-captioning and subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, both tasks that can offer entry into the audiovisual translation industry. Presenter Mara Campbell will cover roll-up captions and pop-on captions with and without placement, as well as the pros and cons of available freeware and professional software.
What will you learn?
- An understanding of what Closed Captioning and SDH are and what producing them entails
- How similar and different Closed Captions and SDH are and the different audiences they serve
- An understanding of the different types of Closed Captions and SDH and the industry standards captioners are expected to produce
- The many freeware and professional software available to perform these tasks
- To identify if they are qualified, capable and/or willing to learn how to perform these tasks professionally
About the Presenter
Mara Campbell is an Argentine ATA-certified translator (English-Spanish), and has been subtitling, closed captioning, translating subtitles and scripts for dubbing for the past 20 years. She worked as a translator, subtitler/captioner, trainer, and team leader in several of the most important companies of Argentina and the USA. She is currently COO of True Subtitles, the company she founded in 2005, that has clients in Argentina, Europe, and the USA. Her work has been seen on the screens of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Fox, BBC, the Discovery Networks, and many more, as well as countless DVD editions of movies and shows. She teaches courses on subtitling and Latin American Neutral Spanish, speaks at international conferences, and is a founding member of the Audiovisual Division of the ATA.
Purchase this Webinar
Code of Conduct
ATA is committed to providing a safe, productive, and welcoming environment for all participants. By registering for this event, you agree to abide by the Code of Conduct for Virtual Programs.