Funny mistranslations in hotels
Reblogged from the Translation and l10n for dummies blog with permission from the author (incl. the image)
Every translator, linguist, language lover and grammar nazi has been there. Wherever we travel, our eyes are checking everything around us for grammar and translation mistakes. The following mistranslations are some of the most ‘famous’ ones, they can be found in many webpages online. I won’t talk about the importance of professional translation services to avoid such (sometimes grave) mistakes, I’ll just let you enjoy the hilarious translation blunders.
- Is forbitten to steal hotel towels please. If you are not person to do such thing is please not to read notis.
- Please to bathe inside the tub.
- You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid.
- Information booklet about using a hotel air conditioner: Cooles and Heates: If you want just condition of warm in your room, please control yourself.
- Guests are requested not to smoke or do other disgusting behaviors in bed.
- Depositing the room key into another person is prohibited.
- Do not enter the lift backwards, and only when lit up.
- Berlin cloakroom: Please hang yourself here.
- It is our intention to pleasure you every day.
- Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the hours of 9 and 11 A.M. daily.
- In order to prevent shoes from mislaying, please don’t corridor them. The management cannot be held.
- In case of fire, do your utmost to alarm the hotel porter.
- Please leave your values at the front desk.
- Name of a hotel in Lectoure: Hotel de Bastard.
- Wondering what to wear? A sports jacket may be worn to dinner, but no trousers.
- The lift is being fixed for the next day. During that time we regret that you will be unbearable.
- To move the cabin, push button for wishing floor. If the cabin should enter more persons, each one should press a number of wishing floor. Driving is then going alphabetically by national order.
- The flattening of underwear with pleasure is the job of the chambermaid.
- Across from a Russian Orthodox monastery: You are welcome to visit the cemetery where famous Russian and Soviet composers, artists, and writers are buried daily except Thursdays.
- If this is your first visit to the USSR, you are welcome to it.
- On the menu of a Polish hotel: Salad a firm’s own make; limpid red beet soup with cheesy dumplings in the form of a finger; roasted duck let loose; beef rashers beaten up in the country people’s fashion.
- Because of the impropriety of entertaining guests of the opposite sex in the bedroom, it is suggested that the lobby be used for this purpose.
- Special today – no ice cream.
- We have nice bath and are very good in bed.
- The manager has personally passed all the water served here.
- Please do not bring solicitors into your room.
- Included with the package of complimentary wares in a Chinese hotel was a pair of workout shorts marked: Uncomplimentary pants.
- Good apperance please no watermelon please.
- Choose twin bed or marriage size; we regret no King Kong size.
- Measles not included in room charge.
- This hotel is renowned for its peace and solitude. In fact, crowds from all over the world flock here to enjoy its solitude.
- Please dial 7 to retrieve your auto from the garbage.
- Suggestive views from every window.
- If service is required, give two strokes to the maid and three to the waiter. It is kindly requested from our guests that they avoid dirting and doing rumours in the rooms. Hot and cold water running up and down the stairs.
- Instructions in case of fire: If you are unable to leave your room, expose yourself in the window.
- To call room service, please open door and call Room Service. Please call quiet, people may sleep.
- A strong trunk is at your disposal on the reception of the hotel.
- We highly recommend the hotel tart.
- Take Discotheque with or without date, in summer plus open air bonging bar
- (Canary Islands) If you telephone for room service you will get the answer you deserve.
- Please do not use the lift when it is not working.
- No entries in upper clothes
- Flying water in all rooms. You may bask in sun on patio
- Take care of burglars
- No spiting on the walls
Book: Lost in Translation: Misadventures in English Abroad